Monday 2 January 2012

Some Kind of Wonderful – Making a Start

For the first time I have joined in Chookyblue’s Stitch-a-Long.  I’ll be doing my appliqué using blanket stitch on the machine, otherwise it would never get finished.

Firstly, I found my fabrics and a rather cute box to use to store the project in.

December 26 2011 009

The creams came mainly from the stash, but I cheated and visited Anni’s shop to buy the coloured fabrics.

December 26 2011 011

Nothing more happened until Boxing Day when I finally made a start. I cut all the appliqué block backgrounds, traced the pieces onto vliesofix and cut whisperweft until I ran out of both and then stitched until I needed more matching threads.

December 2011 002

Now that I’ve been to the shops, I spent all day yesterday  working on the quilt, without doing a stitch.  I do have all the appliqué blocks prepared to just stitch and have enough little squares and strips cut to keep me going for a while.

At least the first block is now completed.  Hopefully, I’ll be caught up by the end of January.

January 2012 001

I’ve really enjoyed playing with all the blocks and can’t wait to have some more finished.

9 comments:

Wendy said...

I've started working on this project as well. You have a good start. Did you use any stabilizer behind for the hand stitching.

Fiona said...

Great start... lovely fabrics....
Hugz

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Love the fabrics and the blocks look great, I have started as well....

Jenny of Elefantz said...

You chose YUMMY fabrics, Janice! It's going to be a lovely quilt, indeed.
Hugs
Jenny
xx

loulee said...

Another Anni Downs book to add to my collection. Maybe I'll even join in!!

Anonymous said...

Looking great Janice. Love it all

Chookyblue...... said...

lovely fabrics........good work.........

Melody said...

You've chosen such gorgeous fabrics.

Bec said...

Beautiful fabrics, so pretty! I am wondering about the stabiliser question in your comments...did you use any and when did you put it on - before or after machine appliquing??? I find my machine applique goes better if I use a stabiliser, what sort do you use if you use one???
How is your machine applique going?